Friday, August 24, 2012

Tammy's Spaghetti Sauce


Ingredients:

4- medium (14oz) cans Tomato Sauce
1- small (6o)z can Tomato Paste
2- large (28oz) Cans Tomatoes (whole, crushed, chopped, depends on what "texture" you want your sauce to have)
6  cloves garlic diced (fresh of course is the best)
2 Tbs dried basil leaves
1 Tbs dried oregano leaves
1 tsp sugar (if tomatoes are acidic)
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions: 

Heat sauce on medium until it begins to boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for at least 6 hours. I keep the lid on the sauce while it cooks (after it begins to gently simmer). stirring occasionally. I sometimes replace the canned tomatoes with seasoned canned (oregano, basil, garlic) tomatoes, or fire-roasted tomatoes (improves the flavor, and/or the appearance if using the "fire-thrower-roasted" tomatoes).  It's of course great on wheat pasta, spaghetti squash (if you're watching da carbs), I even use it when I make my home-made scratch pizza.

 I sometimes get a little crazy when I make it, and it always turns out "fantastico"!  Sometimes, if i make it into a meat sauce I saute some Italiano sausage along with ground turkey or chicken breast with some onion (1/4-1/2 of a Maui onion would make it "ONO"!), set the meat aside, then in the same pan (without cleaning pan) i saute the garlic, then I add 1/4-1/2 cup wine (red or white will do) and scrape the sides of the pan as the wine reduces to get all the flavor from the meat, onion, and garlic, then add the tomato's and seasoning and cook slowly.  Everyone who tries it, loves it. Hope you get to try it and hope you "Aloha" it too!  If "some like it hot", i sometimes add 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes while I saute the garlic!

This recipe actually came from my high school girlfriend (so it has really stood the test of time!)
Mahalo to Mark Hohmann for sharing this recipe with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment